- What is the structure of the cell membrane and what unique properties does it have?
- How do these properties relate to how it works?
- What ordinary substances can be used to model the structure and functioning of the cell membrane?
Using a mixture of dish soap, corn syrup and water, with wire, string, straws, demonstrate the concepts of
- structure of membranes starting with structure of soap
- fluidity/flexibility of membranes
- self-repair/movement through or across membranes
- lateral movement through membranes (as in trans-membrane proteins)
- prokaryotic vs. eukaryotic cells (creating a bubble/membrane within a bubble membrane)